Friday, June 25, 2010

23 Things - Thing #16

I like the use of the term "sandbox" to indicate a spot in a wiki for discovery and play. I feel that this is what a wiki is all about. The participants have the opportunity to discover and learn about new things and even comment on things they may already know. It is just a great way to create conversation and discussion in an online community.

For the classroom, wikis are wonderful collaboration tools. The first time I was introduced to a wiki was last fall semester in one of my first graduate courses. The term was somewhat foreign to me, but as I have had time to work and play in wikis, I can see how useful they can be. Reviewing some of the curriculum connections for wikis listed on the Library2Play page I have found some new ideas that I had not thought of before. I really like the collaborative note taking, which is excellent for all subject areas. I have never used a wiki in my own teaching, but this is something I plan to incorporate into my lessons next school year. I think wikis in a language arts class can be used for research purposes, for sharing a booktalk, and maybe even for critical analysis on a novel.

1 comment:

  1. I use a Wiki to maintain my library's web page - no waiting around for the "web master" to get around to doing things.

    ReplyDelete