Friday, June 25, 2010

23 Things - Thing #17

Rollyo was just the tool I have been looking for. This will make my life so much easier. I teach at an alternative campus, and the schedule for the day is somewhat different than a traditional campus. Our students come to us for a limited time period (3, 5, 10, or 15 days), and eventually return to their home campus. These students are here for behavioral issues. Each morning, students will report to their assigned teacher for Concepts class, which is similar to a homeroom. During this period, teachers are free to teach any lesson they choose for any subject matter. This class is only 40 minutes, but it is a time to check in new students to the campus, which happens on a daily basis. The students who are already well into their assigned days need something to do during this period. Last year, I chose to utilize this time for students to research current events on the computer. I did my best to keep it organized, but for the most part, students immediately searched Google. This was not exactly my first choice, but now with Rollyo I can tailor the students' searches. I created a new Rollyo for "Current Events" using both age appropriate and student friendly sites. I am truly excited about using this next school year.

Here is the link to my Rollyo:

Rollyo-Current Events

2 comments:

  1. I really must give Rollyo another look see. I learned about when I first took the 23 things but it didn't "take". I tend to use Delicious instead. However, I can see that Rollyo is a better choice for tailored searches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite to Thing #17 yet, but I can't wait to check out Rollyo. I like your idea of having students have a place to check out what you are asking them to search for. I have many levels as well within my class (who doesn't?) and this would be a great thing to have in a computer center for those fast finishers who need something to do while I am reteaching. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete