Tuesday, June 29, 2010

23 Things - Thing #19

After browsing through the Web 2.0 Awards List, I was very impressed with the various tools available for users. I have used some of these tools before. One of my favorites is Hair Mixer. My daughter and I have actually played around with this one before. She always has such a good time. Who wouldn't want to try on Paris Hilton for a new look?

I like the easy access provided on the Web 2.0 Awards List page. Since everything is categorized, it is easy to find the tool you are looking for. Obviously, these have been chosen to be the best in their category, so I feel comfortable using these sites personally and in the classroom (if not blocked). For schools and libraries, I can see using the bookmarking, books, collaborative writing, and mapping applications sites. These are all good for various content areas.

For me personally, I looked into the genealogy sites. I am interested in genealogy because we have been working on my mom's family tree for quite some time now. The family tree dates back to the 1800's. Her family used GenoPro, a program you can purchase to complete your family tree. Right now there are over 850 different Irish families listed. However, I like the sites on Web 2.0. Ancestry.com is very interesting. If you go to birth records and type in your information, guarantee you will be listed there. It's kind of scary! In fact, not only was my birth record there, but my marriage certificate was also available, for a fee of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment